Disaster Relief -
The effort to help the victims and aid workers is ongoing. Continued support is needed in Houston, Florida, Puerto Rico, the US Virgin Islands, and Mexico as these areas have suffered devastation and catastrophic damage.
- Tzedakah collected at The Community Synagogue, now through Thanksgiving is going to NECHAMA, Jewish Response to Disaster.
- We have a congregant who has been volunteering in Houston with Nechama. They are looking for donations for meals for the volunteers. Donations can be made here.
- You can also give through the Jewish community center of Puerto Rico
- UJA-Federation is also collecting for Harvey and Irma Relief
The American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee is helping Jews and those who are not Jewish in Mexico and the Caribbean.
We encourage you to reach out and help. For even more information go to: https://commsyn.org/blog/helping-houston.
How to help- CLICK HERE
H2O- Right now millions of residents of Puerto Rico are in dire need of clean drinking water following the devastation from Hurrcan Maria. Long Island Cares and Senator Elaine Phillips are partnering to collect drinking water in any form: jugs, bottles etc. Please bring your donation to The Community Synagogue or call 516-746-5924.
Long Island Cares will be picking up our water donations. Thank you!
Make your voice heard on dozens of important pieces of legislation, from gun violence prevention to environmental justice. Our action alerts make contacting your elected officials easier than ever - just enter your zip code!
The Social Action Committee at The Community Synagogue is part of K’lal Yisrael, the entire Jewish community. We pursue tzedek (justice) and perform mitzvot (commandments) to translate the words of Torah into the works of our hands. We strive to become partners with God in Tikkun Olam – repairing the world both within the local community and outside its boundaries.
To participate please contact a Committee Member:
Social Action Co-chair: Michele Posner-Goldman at [email protected]
Social Action Co-chair: Sandy Cobden at [email protected] or 917-576-1103.
Head of Tikkun Olam Committee: JD Friedland at [email protected]
Ongoing Social Action Projects:
- Community Dinners: On a quarterly basis, we hold sit down dinner/dances on Saturday nights for local residents who might not otherwise have the opportunity to enjoy a night out.
- Brotherhood of The Community Synagogue is engaged in acts of consciousness raising, education and action to end genocide. To support their efforts and that of the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum, click here. If you are interested in obtaining the image as a banner (9' x 3') please contact Steve Kaplan at [email protected].