The Social Action Committee at The Community Synagogue is part of K’lal Yisrael, the entire Jewish community. We pursue tzedek (justice) and perform mitzvot (commandments) to translate the words of Torah into the works of our hands. We strive to become partners with God in Tikkun Olam – repairing the world both within the local community and outside its boundaries.
To participate please contact a Committee Member:
Social Action Chair: Michele Posner-Goldman at [email protected]
Ongoing Social Action Projects:
- Community Dinners: On a quarterly basis, we hold sit down dinner/dances on Saturday nights for local residents who might not otherwise have the opportunity to enjoy a night out.
- Brotherhood of The Community Synagogue is engaged in acts of consciousness raising, education and action to end genocide. To support their efforts and that of the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum, click here. If you are interested in obtaining the image as a banner (9' x 3') please contact Steve Kaplan at [email protected].
- Holiday Toy and Personal Item Drive: The Sisterhood of The Community Synagogue, in conjunction with the Religious School, the Early Childhood Center, our POWTY teens and our entire synagogue family, is collecting toys for organizations serving children and families in need.
- Thanksgiving Basket: Assemble baskets to be delivered to those in need. Register with Bari Ziegel 516-762-5830. Sponsored by the UJA-Federation of NY.
- Supplies for Success: Backpacks Help sort and assemble backpacks for disadvantaged children.
- HIAS Refugee Assistance: TCS in coordination with the HIAS-New York team, is offering four working committee opportunities with which to become involved. Read more here