The Social Action Committee at The Community Synagogue is part of K’lal Yisrael, the entire Jewish community. We pursue tzedek (justice) and perform mitzvot (commandments) to translate the words of Torah into the works of our hands. We strive to become partners with God in Tikkun Olam – repairing the world both within the local community and outside its boundaries.
To participate please contact a Committee Member:
Social Action Co-chair: Michele Posner-Goldman at [email protected]
Social Action Co-chair: Sandy Cobden at [email protected] or 917-576-1103.
Head of Tikkun Olam Committee: JD Friedland at [email protected]
Ongoing Social Action Projects:
- Community Dinners: On a quarterly basis, we hold sit down dinner/dances on Saturday nights for local residents who might not otherwise have the opportunity to enjoy a night out.
- Tutoring/Mentoring: We work with Schreiber High School students for whom English is a second language, as tutors and mentors, over the course of their high school years. Tutors assist with English, Social Studies, Math, and Science. Mentors can also provide guidance with college selection, career choices, resume writing, etc. Click here for more about our tutoring program. At this time we have an immediate need for more tutors and mentors. For more info, contact Jessica Wigdor at 516-883-1979.
- Save Darfur: we work to increase awareness of the political situation in Darfur, raising funds to assist its residents.
- Nothing But Nets: a UN-sponsored organization that raises funds for the purchase of mosquito netting to prevent malaria for families in Africa. Nets can be purchased for $10 each. Click here for the latest Nothing But Nets flyer.
- Brotherhood of The Community Synagogue is engaged in acts of consciousness raising, education and action to end genocide. To support their efforts and that of the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum, click here. If you are interested in obtaining the image as a banner (9' x 3') please contact Steve Kaplan at [email protected].